Thursday, August 18, 2011

To each his own.

Nobody prepares you for parenthood, its more of a learn as you go concept. I don't think parenthood is something that can be schooled. To each his own. Everyone is different, their views on how that special little child gets brought up in the world. Even though I was never taught how to be a mom, I always had a firm grip on just what kind of parent I was going to be. I was going to be a parent of steel but parenthood is a funny thing and parenthood has turned me into pudding.

Although, not ALL of my parenting philosophies have been put to the test because, well, Liam is only two months old, yet some of them have. Some of these philosophies included that my baby would be on a strict schedule. I thought I would have no problem with the whole "cry it out" thing and I would so easily train my munchkin into sleeping through the night. Then I had a real baby, his name is Liam. He made me different than the mom I thought I would be, because I never realized a real life baby, different than my imagined baby, makes you into pudding. Before I had Liam I was a firm believer in him sleeping in his crib. I though a baby needs his space and me and Eric need our own space. Babies sleep in cribs and parents in beds. Everyone is happier this way. FAIL.

 Liam sleeps in our bed.

The most surprising thing about co-sleeping with Liam.. more surprising than the fact that we're actually doing it when I never said I would is that... I love it. A lot of times people will ask me about Liam and how he's sleeping and I would regretfully hang my head and answer hesitantly that he's still sleeping in the bed with us because everyone acts like its so unfortunate but I really am starting to embrace it now. Instead of thinking of Liam being in our bed as a problem that needs solving, I am really treasuring this time of him being so small and sweet and wanting to be near us.. and I want to be near him! This is such a special time and it is going by just as fast as everyone said it would. I love that Liam is the first thing I see in the morning. 

Throwing out the rule book and all of my ideas on how parenting should be has really allowed me to open up and enjoy what parenting is, and getting to know our baby and naturally becoming the best parents we can be for him.  So far this has been such an amazing journey and I have been so surprised at myself along the way.  It's good to surprise yourself, i think!

Until another time, but i'll leave you with this picture of our newest little co-sleeper:


No comments:

Post a Comment